Wednesday, June 6, 2012

The Robinson sisters take Europe

  Ashley came to visit me this past week and I decided I would show her all that Europe has to offer, well what I wanted to check off of my life before I left. We did a few days in Graz where I showed her the lovely little city that I reside in. We went to a few sights that I hadnt seen so that was nice. But then it was time for the big traveling. We hopped on a bus and went to Venice for our first stop. We arrived later in the day and decided to head onto the island to get a few things done. We went to the beautiful Doges palace and toured around the ancient history. Then we wandered around the city and got some dinner. The beauty of Venice is that you really get the most out of it by aimlessly wandering, finding things and then hoping you happen onto some piazza that you are familiar with. This was my second time in Venice but being there for Carnevale was definitely a whirlwind where I didn't get to truly experience the city.  We also managed to sneak into a glass blowing demonstration. A truly Bill Robinson move, and we were so happy we broke the rules for this one. 



     The next day we went back onto the island and had a great Italian lunch on one of the main canals. Then the rest of our day consisted of walking around and stopping to rest on small canals and watch everything around us. Venice is definitely a great people watching city. We stumbled upon a boat race, and old man in a gondola taking pictures of us and also a guy who wanted his picture taken with us. I guess it is helpful to be tan enough to be mistaken for an authentic Italian. We honestly had the perfect day walking in and out of shops and just relaxing to take in the view. Also it didn't hurt that the weather was gorgeous. 

     Our next stop was to go to Barcelona! Neither of us had ever been to Spain so this was definitely an exciting experience. Barcelona is a gorgeous city. Being on the beach, having amazingly unique architecture and such a youthful vibe makes it a city you just cant get enough of. Our first stop was to go on a bus tour so we could get all of our history and sightseeing out of the way. We stopped at La Sagrada Familia, one of the most famous churches in the world. It was created by Gaudi, but is such an ornate creation that he died before it was completed, it actually still isn't completed after more than 100 years. Then we stopped for a traditional Spanish lunch and stopped for a siesta so we could rest up for the beach. Being from the Ocean state I have been craving a beautiful sand beach and that is just what Barcelona gave me. After the beach we made our way down the packed street of La Rambla to get some authentic seafood paella. This is a traditional dish of the region and it was pretty tasty. Although I do think it could use a little hot sauce. I should probably start carrying it in my purse. But on the upside sangria is everywhere in Barcelona and when you order it they literally give you a glass large enough to swim in! 



    On our last full day in Barcelona we again took advantage of the beautiful weather and made it a beach day. We grabbed a picnic and ate some tasty snacks while taking in the sand and the surf of Spain. Later we adventured to the cathedral of Barcelona and the Batllo House built by Gaudi. This was one of the most stunning things I have ever seen. And of course my camera died right before I could take pictures of it. But it is such an interesting and beautiful work of art. The next day we flew into Vienna so I could give Ashley a crash course on the capital of Austria. which I think I did rather successfully. Then she flew home and I was left to count down the days until I will be back in the U.S.! 

No comments:

Post a Comment