Sunday, February 12, 2012

Going to Church in Graz

     This morning Leesa, Mindy and I woke up bright and early and took a trip to church. We all thought it would be a great experience and fun to try out. Yes the mass was completely in German but we decided to overlook that detail. There is a nice church about 2 minutes away from my apartment so we went to explore it. This was the most interesting mass I have ever been to. Aside from the fact that I didnt understand anything it was also completely different from any church I have ever been to. Today was family and kids day at church so there were about 30 little munchkins running around the church, and when I say running I mean it. They were chasing each other up and down the aisles and climbing all over the pews. I loved watching them! Although I am sure that their parents were not thrilled. The priest was wonderful he went around and shook everyones hand before the mass started and I stumbled through the three words of german that I knew so he wouldn't think I was an imposter. But Im sure that when I started shaking halfway through the service due to a lack of heat he could tell I wasn't exactly used to this. Yes you heard right, they don't heat churches in Graz, because its too expensive...churches in America should take note. My own church just closed a few months ago due to their inability to heat the church. They should have just gone without. There was more dancing, arm motions and singing at this church then I have ever seen. I am going to attribute this to the fact that in order to stay alive in the sub-zero temps the parish needs to dance around. All in all it was a beautiful service and there was an extreme tenderness and care towards the children which I thought was great. The church was gorgeous and I am really curious about when it was built, most likely before America was even founded. I didn't take any pictures during the mass because well thats not really acceptable, but I found some online that someone else had posted. So here if you are curious here it is.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/russianchild007/5735709513/

 Also Im hoping that by next week my German is good enough to be able to sing the songs haha...waving my arms around and stomping just doesn't cut it for me :)

No comments:

Post a Comment