Sunday, February 19, 2012

Venezia! Carnevale 2012

Yesterday morning rather than getting home at 4:30AM I was going out to get on a 5 hour bus ride. Why was I doing that? To go to Venice of course. My morning started off amazingly, waking up and singing my Venice song with Mindy and drinking coffee made of powder...yumm. After an hour of whining and getting ready we hopped in a taxi with a very confused driver wondering why we wanted to to go the University at 4:30 in the morning. As we pulled up to our double decker accommodations I knew we were in for a good time. Never before have I sat in a classy bus with tables, Greyhound take note.
Thats me and Allison on our super classy bus.  We settled in for the long haul, thank god we had some delicious snacks (gummi candies and chocolate, Breakfast of Champions) After cruising around Austria for awhile we stopped at a rest stop for 40 minutes so everyone could get food, or buy alcohol as it seemed all of the middle aged bus riders were doing. Luckily this was the most amazing rest stop I have ever laid eyes on. Step aside Rt. 95, Austrian rest stops have scenery to die for.

 After many grueling hours on the bus, and I mean grueling. No bus ride is complete without a man that looks like Gandalf sitting behind you smelling like he has never bathed...oh you mean that only happens to me. Of course it does. We finally got off the bus and made our way to the water taxi. This was hands down the best 6,50 Euro I have ever spent. We got to take in Venice by water for our delightful 40 minute ride. And it only got better once we arrived on shore. The backdrop was magical and the costumes fantastical. Carnevale in Venice is a costume designers dream. The masks, outfits and makeup were unbelievable. After wandering around we decided it was time to sample some Italian cuisine. It was a cute little restaurant with a great location,  here is my lasagna.

It was a great lasagna but dont be fooled, its not as authentic as you may think. Being an expert lasagna maker myself I was not overly impressed, but who am I to complain about Italian food in Venice. Luckily we got some epic Gelato (twice) which made up for any lasagna misfortunes. 

For the rest of the day we walked around taking in sights and quite honestly allowing ourselves to get lost. My UVM friends were all in Venice so it was a big priority to reunite with them. I was thrilled when I finally got to see them, meeting up with Anna and Maddie just about made my trip :) 
We decided it was time to get into the spirit and get some masks so we headed down by the water and bought some from the street vendors. I then refused to take it off for the rest of the day. Someone even asked to take my picture, so that officially means I participated in Carnevale. As night fell we grabbed dinner, a delicious pizza, and then walked around. The city was transformed by night.

With music blaring, lights everywhere and people in costumes swarming around, it was unreal. Venice is my kind of place...one where everything is covered in glitter and its acceptable to literally dance in the streets. My trip to Venice was one I will never forget and will hopefully relive. Well until I can next go to Carnevale, Ciao Venezia!


No comments:

Post a Comment